Undergraduates at UCSC can apply to be writing tutors (sometimes referred to as “writing assistants”).
- tutoring logistics, such as setting up and negotiating various writing tutoring models
- individual writing tutoring versus group writing tutoring
- cultural frameworks in teaching and learning;
- socio-linguistic consciousness and writing tutoring for students from diverse backgrounds
- tutor/tutee relationships and personalized strategies for writing tutoring (in part, as different from coordinating other disciplinary tutoring)
- writing mentoring versus editing—teaching students to engage the writing process
- approaches to helping writers across the disciplines
- contemporary theories of teaching writing
It’s an exciting opportunity to receive training, engage in relevant coursework, and support students in writing!