Out-of-State Students, Enrolled 2006-2017

AP English score can be from the AP English Language and Composition exam OR the AP English Literature and Composition exam

Out-of-State Students

All candidates for a bachelor’s degree at UCSC must demonstrate their command of the English language by satisfying the Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR). Because of the lack of articulation agreements and inability to take the Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE) outside of California in May, out-of-state students are encouraged to attempt to satisfy the ELWR via the ACT, SAT, AP, or IB tests. Students who have not satisfied the ELWR via ACT, AP, SAT, or IB scores (see chart above) must take the AWPE in September during Fall Orientation. These students may have to make concessions in their schedule in order to enroll in the remaining College courses at that time.

Students should confirm that the testing agency or school has sent its official score report or transcript to UCSC. To ensure your transcripts and test scores have been received, continue to check your student portal at my.ucsc.edu (FAQs). For further questions regarding transcripts and test scores, please contact the Admissions Office.

*UC is accepting a score of 680 or better on the SAT, Evidence-Based Reading and Writing to satisfy the Entry Level Writing Requirement on a pilot basis, beginning with new students entering UC in Fall 2018. The pilot will remain in effect until a new policy is adopted by the Academic Senate.