The Writing-Intensive Requirement (W)

(For students enrolled before fall 2009)

Students must take and pass a Writing-Intensive (W) course, often in their major. These courses often require more writing than other classes, but they also stress explicit attention to the craft of writing in the subject matter of the course or discipline. Papers are assigned throughout the quarter and editorial comment is provided by the instructor. Students must complete the UC Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR) and satisfy the Composition C1 and C2 requirements before enrolling in a course which satisfies the W requirement.